Friday, November 27, 2009

Hikefest 2009

With the family in Nashville, I decided to take full advantage of the day off. I knew I was heading North to the mountains, but I did not decide until I got to Dahlonega/Helen fork where I was headed. I picked the Helen route, and ended up first at the Smithgall Woods Conservation Area. This is one of the largest state parks in Georgia, centered around the remnants of a major mining operation from the 1800's (the first US gold rush). I hiked 2 miles on the main road to reach the trailhead for the Martin's Mine trail, which features the remnants of an actual gold mine.

I started back on the main road, and turned off for the Ash Creek trail, which climbs a couple of ridges, leading to a wet ankle crossing of Ash Creek, not terribly pleasant given the cold temperature.

As I neared the end, I was really getting hungry, having had nothing but a snack bar since 6 AM. I soon discovered that the trail dead ended into Dukes Creek, a wide and rapid creek approximately 3 feet deep. On the other side, the short end of the trail and the main road beckoned. Had it been warmer, I would have taken my shoes off and crossed it, but today, I had no option but to backtrack the entire 1.5 miles, and another wet ankle (or wet sock in this case)crossing.

After a quick lunch at Unicoi State Park, I decided to take the 9 mile drive to Unicoi Gap, and do a section of the AT. I arrived at the parking lot, and after a moment of indecision about which direction to go, I headed North. This may not have been the best choice, as it turned out to be one of the most difficult AT sections I have done. It climbs 1,100 feet in 1.2 miles with no mercifully flat sections, all while enduring 25 MPH sustained winds.


All the climbing was worthwhile however, because at the top, I was rewarded with a breathtaking view of the mountains to the South. And, the good news continued - the return trip was all downhill!

I was also rewarded with some enlightening thoughts about how God uses seemingly small events to do great things. For example, the dental hygienist I knew in passing from Miami, who moved to Atlanta and has been taking care of my teeth for 27 years. Last year, she asked if she could give my contact info to a young patent she just started treating that was just diagnosed with Crohn's Disease. We exchanged a few emails, which ultimately led to me serving with her at Act Together Ministries.

I wonder what God will start tomorrow?

1 comment:

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

What an eventful day! And though I hate wet socks, I might put up with it for a chance on the AT! One of these days I'm going to make it there!