Sunday, June 21, 2009

The Blind Leading the Blind?


I usually ride my bike instead of hiking on very hot days, but thanks to an accident involving my car carrier coming off, and a family medical crisis, my bike was not in working order. As such, I braved the heat and revisited Pine Mountain in Cartersville. it is a relatively short trail with a great view. Unfortunately, I forgot that it has more ups and downs in a short distance that most sections of the AT. Not my first choice on a 97 degree day.

I started with the ascent to the crest of Pine Mountain, which involves a 600+ foot climb in half a mile. The view of Lake Allatoona (which happily is full) is worth the trip however, and thinks to the Boy Scouts there is now a bench on top when you can sit and take in the view.

The trail system consists of two loops with another trail connecting them. This makes it exceedingly difficult to get lost. That being said, and despite this being only my second visit, I would end up helping an individual and a family find their way down. I had encountered a family with small kids a few times, and when I got to the high portion of the east loop, they were stopped. They flagged me down, and asked for help. Not long after I got them on their way, a running stopped me and wanted to know how to get back to the main parking lot. I never saw either again, but I assume they made it down.

I guess the only thing you need to be a guide is more knowledge than the person you are guiding. Not a bad way to look at my Christian witness as well.

2 comments:

Mike Tant said...

The only hike I take when its 97 degrees is from the TV to the kitchen for another glass of lemonade!

pinkypink said...

I like the pick!