Saturday, August 30, 2008

Hike Inn Revisited

For the first time in awhile, I work up early on Saturday and felt energetic. As such, I decided an aggressive activity was in order. Although I did not know for sure what I would do until just before I left, I opted for a hike at Amicolola Falls State Park. I had done the Hike Inn loop some time back, and while it is quite strenuous, I liked it the first time around. This loop takes the 5 mile trail to the Hike Inn, and catches the AT approach trail back for a total of close to 11 miles.

This look has two things in particular going for it:

1) The Hike Inn provides a good rest, restrooms, and free food at the half way point.
2) The lodge is close to the end, and has a good buffet and a great view.

I made good time to the Inn, quickly found the restroom, and then the kitchen. The day hiker snack de jour was leftover chocolate pound cake. I assume the Inn was fairly busy, as I ran into a number of people on their way back. After a visit to an unusual granite sculpture, I headed toward the AT approach trail. The last mile from the Inn to the AT is the worst of the entire hike, climbing more than 600 feet in a short distance.

Once I hit the AT, there was still a good bit of climbing to do, after which it was mostly downhill. I actually stopped at the junction, and considered making the 3.4 mile trip to Springer Mountain. At a total of 17 miles however, I was not quite prepared for this.

I have often wondered how food and supplies make their way to the Inn. Not far after reaching the AT, I passed the foundation of an old fire tower, followed by two gravel roads, one of which had fresh tracks. My GPS shows these as active roads, so I guess they have a 4WD that makes the run.

I arrived back at the trail junction after 4.5 hours, and took the short trail to the Inn. I was seated next to the picture window with a panoramic view of the mountains, where I enjoyed my soup and salad.

If I only had a place to plug my fan in, I would do an overnight at the Inn in a heartbeat!

1 comment:

Jennifer@DoingTheNextThing said...

Just catching up...
-loved the mushroom pics -very cool!
-hike inn looks great - i'm sure we can find battery-powered Radio Shack sound machines, or something like
-awesome milipede! (or whatever..)