Friday, April 11, 2008

The High-Tech Biker???

I have a nice bike which I have not ridden significantly in 2 years, but is has been calling to me lately, especially with all of the multi-use trails that now exist. I slaved over a hot PC playing marketing manager all morning, and decided I needed a break. I came home early, dusted, pumped and lubericated the bile, loaded it in the car, and headed to the Big Creek Greenway. With an ice cream stop, I completed the round trip in just over two hours, and had a good time doing it.

I had one embarassing moment. I had grabbed a chain lock while I was in Lowe's, in case I wanted to park. When I decided to walk for ice cream, I discovered that the keys were cable-tied to the chain. I saw a grandmother who had just loaded up her granddaughter, so I went to ask her if she had anything sharp. She whipped out her car key, and broke the tie with brute force. Boy, did I feel stupid and unmasculine!

Lessons learned today:

  1. I need a pocket knife.
  2. Hiking and biking may both involve the legs, but they obviously use different muscles.
  3. I have a bit less padding in certain strategic areas than I used to.
  4. Fourteen miles is a bit much when you haven't ridden for 2 years.

It was a great way to spend the afternoon, none the less.

No comments: