Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Cloudland Canyon

I had to be in Dalton for a sales presentation, so this not only presented the opportunity for a rare mid-week hike, but also to a location that would otherwise be a long drive. After finishing the presentation and having a quick lunch, I set out for Chickamauga Creek Trail, west of Dalton. As is not unusual for me however, I never got there. As I passed the turn-off, I changed my mind, and drove on to Cloudland Canyon, near the AL state line.

If there is a more beautiful spot in all of Georgia, I would sure like to see it. The park is developed around an 1,800 foot deep canyon carved out over the years by a stream. The result is beautiful views and multiple waterfalls.

">


I began the hike with a trip to into the canyon to visit both waterfalls, which are not visible from the top. There are well constructed stairs leading to each one, but they are hard on the legs. When I got back to the top, I sat on a bench under a huge rock to catch my breath, feeling a bit old about how much the steps took out of me. Shortly thereafter, a teenager walked up and sat down, more tired than I was. That made me feel better.

After a very brief rest, I started off on the West Rim trail, a 4.8 mile trail that winds back down to the canyon floor, across the stream, and back up to the west rim. Much of the trail is routed right along the rim, affording numerous beautiful views. The trail itself is interesting and challenging, with multiple opportunities for rock climbing. At other points, the trail has been eroded, leaving exposed roots which must be navigated. There are also multiple “wet foot crossings, one of which was a “wet ankle” crossing on this particular day.

As on prior hikes my thoughts turned to the difficult time I am having at work, and how much fear I have experienced over the past few weeks. At the same time, I was again struck by the irony that I could walk to the edge of the canyon, where a slight stumble would take me over to my death, with no fear whatsoever. It became clear that my fear is limited to what can happen to me in this life, and not what is beyond that. The generalities of a scripture verse came to mind which I looked up upon my return:

10Finally, be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power. 11Put on the full armor of God so that you can take your stand against the devil's schemes. 12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms. 13Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground, and after you have done everything, to stand.

I finished up mi hike after 3 hours, and was afforded one final view of the canyon when returning to my car. It was a truly wonderful afternoon, and a great place to visit.

PS A shout out to my syster-in-law for telling me about Photobucket!